Dev Desktop failes to untar installation files

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
info@imsgroup.gr's picture
info

When i try to install any available distribution I get the following error...

Downloading your Drupal distribution...
https://dev.acquia.com/sites/default/files/downloads/lightning-8.x-2.23....
25409 of 25409 KBytes downloaded
Extracting Drupal archive...
to C:\Users\user\Sites\devdesktop\lightning-8.x-2.23
Failed to untar C:\Users\user\Sites\devdesktop\lightning-8.x-2.23acqTmp-2017-11-05T11.34.22-3752\lightning-8.x-2.23.tar.gz

I am running in Windows 10.

Unresolved
dmyburgh's picture
david.myburgh

This is something specific to your computer, I'm afraid. It untars just fine on mine and installs on Acquia Cloud from the same url.

info@imsgroup.gr's picture
info

I also run as admininstrator the program and disable the antivirus but still not working.

shaun@aprox.co.uk's picture
shaun

Hi, I too am finding the same, a base install of D8 is fine its just with Lightning im finding this errors. I investigated lightning and when manually trying to extract the lightinng tar file I get a load of errors saying sym links cant be created so I assume this is the same issue why its not working in dev desktop. seems everything is moving towards composer for its install. Would be good if the developers of Dev Desktop could shed light on the future of Dev Desktop :-) hope this helps someone.

saskia.gennrich@mfn-berlin.de's picture
saskia.gennrich

Can report same behavior as https://forums.acquia.com/comment/79616#comment-79616
Trying to untar with 7zip shows errors creating symlinks for files in vendor/bin

dmyburgh's picture
david.myburgh

Ah, right, Windows doesn't do symlinks. That sucks, and there is no easy way around that, aside from installing a Linux Virtualbox to work in.

saskia.gennrich@mfn-berlin.de's picture
saskia.gennrich

But that's defeating the point to use acquia dev desktop in the first place, doesn't it?

dmyburgh's picture
david.myburgh

You can run Dev Desktop in a Virtualbox too ;) Lightning is a custom distro, so the symlink is not standard Drupal. You can extract the whole lightning repo and exclude the symlinks, then just recreate them manually in Windows (if that's possible), or move the folder that the symlink points to into the place where the symlink is. Not ideal, but it should work. Unfortunately, Windows is just not a great OS to develop websites on, in my experience. Having a Mac or a Linux machine makes things so much easier. I had a manager who loved development on his Window machine, but it took a lot of customizing to make it all work nicely.

shaun@aprox.co.uk's picture
shaun

Im not sure I agree with the comment that windows is not a good environment to develop websites in as it does support symlinks with the mklink command and it can even run bash now on Windows 10. Sadly this is more that the development is lacking for Windows rather than for Linux/Mac environments. What would be great would be if the newer releases of Dev Desktop came with composer too to enable installing the newer modules/distros. I have got composer running on my local machine fine however havent had the time yet to test with lightning.

dmyburgh's picture
david.myburgh

Just so you know, to my knowledge there won't be any new releases for Dev Desktop. This is why I am starting to use DrupalVM for all new things, and I suspect most Drupal 8.4 sites and above will need to switch to that too. I still use DD daily, but have newer D8 sites running on DrupalVM already. Definitely worth the time to look at that option.

max.rashwin@gmail.com's picture
max.rashwin

Follow this website link address Play freecell game online and play for free of cost and online Card game.This is the platform where you able to play your desire card game.Thank you so much to this platform.